The students of SUNSHINE PRESCHOOL TAIBATOU on the beach!
04. March 2020
From 18. February to 03. March 2020 Claudia and Jo as members of AT EYE LEVEL have been in The Gambia to support the teachers of SUNSHINE PRESCHOOL TAIBATOU.
They took over the business in a meeting with the three teachers from the SUNSHINE PRESCHOOL – Adama, Ismaila and Kaddy – as well as Sabine and Harald.
Since then they
- bought a wheelbarrow and three buckets to transport water from the village well to the school more easily;
- bought three more carpets, especially to be able to lay out Kaddy’s small classroom completely.
- distributed ten boxes (!) of collected toy donations wisely to all three classes, and introduced step by step how to work with them during the ‚Activity Time‘ of the second lesson;
- there were also large amounts of toothbrushes and toothpaste as well as mugs with which they introduced tooth brushing as a morning ritual;
- bought five chairs for the classrooms and the office;
- at the end of their stay they made an excursion to the beach with all the students and the teachers of that school.
Their special attention was paid on Kaddy. As she is new in school, she needed most of the support to get to know the game materials and to be active together with her students.
On the other side they supported Adama and Ismaila in observing the positive sides of painting and of building with DUPLO- and LEGO-Material, and in giving their students their own choice in ‚Activity Time‘, which material they would like to deal with. Especially the new material DUPLO, LEGO and the painting materials, including numerous mandalas, were the hit for the kids.
The absolute highlight was a trip to the beach! Inconceivable …. because only one of two bush taxis appeared that morning to pick up the children! So all of about 40 children took one taxi! It was obviously not only a unique experience for the children, but they also were inspired: to see the initial scepticism of the students and then unrestrained fun in the waters of the Atlantic ocean, which almost all of them never had seen before!
01. October 2019
Since the beginning of the new academic year in September 2019 we opened a third classroom at SUNSHINE PRESCHOOL TAIBATOU.
Now we have 10 more boys and girls in our entrance class (level 1), and they are educated by our voluntary teacher Kaddy Saneh from Taibatou.
In January 2020 we will extend the classroom, so that 15 girls and boys will have a chance to go to (pre-) school.
Thousand thanks to all our supporters and sponsors!
What we did last season from November 24, 2018 to January 24 2019
- Coaching-on-the-job with two teachers of SUNSHINE PRESCHOOL TAIBATOU to better perform Systemic Education and practice the English lerning program ‚Jolly Phonics‘.
- Tearing down a totally spoilt toilet, and construction/building of a new one with a new soakaway for teachers/boys and girls (after ‚Minimum Standards for Preschools‚). For hygiene reasons the walls and the floors were tiled.
- A pipe for running water was constructed from the overhead-tank of the village to the school building and the toilets, so that there is running water available for all students and teachers: for drinking, washing hands and for the toilet.
10. May 2018
Meanwhile the treasurer of AT EYE LEVEL, Harald Heinemann, has been in The Gambia again. He had some talkings and negotiations with the young teachers Adama and Ismaila and with the Alkalo of TAIBATOU, Mr. Mahmadou Jallow. They rather soon came to a result, so that AT EYE LEVEL will give – beginning on 1 May 2018 – a monthly stipend to the young teachers, and pay for the visit of the Teachers‘ College in Brikama.
From now on the preschool will be called SUNSHINE PRESCHOOL TAIBATOU.
01. March 2018
A very urgent call for support reached ‚AT EYE LEVEL – Systemic Education in The Gambia‘ out of the village of TAIBATOU, at a distance of about 4 km from Sanyang. There exists a 2-class nursery school beeing visited by 42 children of TAIBATOU. These children are educated by 2 non-certified teachers: a young woman and a young man. As the community is not in the position to pay for the teachers reasonably, they do their educational job since years for free.
AT EYE LEVEL is willing to give financial and methodical support (training on the job).
To clear the conditions the treasurer of AT EYE LEVEL will go once more to The Gambia, and talk to both of the young teachers and to the Alkalo of TAIBATOU.